St. Augustine - 100.65



















5:00 came with the same nervous intensity that an early flight out of Sitka does. It is just too much of an inconvenience to be late for an important important. I had to meet with the darkness so we could experience the ebb and flow of the shadows as the street lamps pass us by. This single sensation with the cool night air and tidal movement of my shadow chasing me and leaving me behind is my favorite part of cycling.

I watched the orb rise with the traffic the same color as my reflective shirt. I stopped once to eat breakfast at Hardee's and again before crossing the St. John's to eat grilled cheese, veggie-beef soup, and more sweet tea. As I completed the century to St. Augustine, I understood why the ACA route goes where it does. As I approached the coast I passed traffic caused by a down cyclist out for a Monday spin.

Waiting in the touristed out town, I took pictures of myself on timer hoping to have one halfway decent one. I rode down some of the narrow streets as the traffic dissipated to interact with some of my last strangers. Riding a loaded bike is like wearing a sign on your forehead that says "Yes, you should ask where I've been." I'll miss that.

11.4 ave - 25.0 max - 2988.1 odo - 8:46:03 time

Comments

Anonymous said…
Congratulations!!!!!
Unknown said…
A century on the last day, mission accomplished - congrats !
Not Lucy said…
Have I told you lately that I love you and I am so proud of you? Well, if I haven't, I will do so publicly right now!
Anonymous said…
Congratulations!! I knew you could do it! You are totally awesome. One day you are going to have to fill me in on the experience.
Amy Ring
rightnow said…
HELL yes. way to go, becca. now i can brag for real about you. instead of "yeah, my friend is bicycling across the US too!" it will be "yeah, my friend already did that". because i know so many people who are currently bicycling across the country.

ummmmmmmm


SO continue to be safe and let me know when DNR can rehearse again. because seriously? i think katie needs some vocal coaching.

hahah.


today was overcast and sprinkly.
Rebecca said…
I'll keep you posted as to the next opportunity for DNR to rehears... I currently don't have any solid plans to be back in washington until christmas or january. but you can always come up alaska...
Anonymous said…
What!? Not coming back until Christmas or January?! DOOD.



CONGRATULATIONS!
Rebecca said…
i do have the chance of plans to be in washington to ride the courage in early august, but that depends on weahter cousin katie decideds to ride it herself. so we'll see what she plans to do in the end. i could go or i could stay. there's good to both.
Brita said…
Yay!!!! Rebecca, that is so cool... Now I can brag about my cousin... I willl hav e to tell all your friends in the quilt shop that you made it without being attack or severely damaged...
Anonymous said…
You travel just about everywhere on that bike! anti spam link

Popular posts from this blog

Simmesport - 32.27 miles

Big Cane - 0 miles