I took my bike for a spin in old Olalla. It's a crisp sunny New Year's Eve as I head in the direction of Port Orchard. Orchard Avenue and Mullinex Road are also extremely hilly. Nevertheless, I am always surprises at how far I can go on a bike in a very short period of time. In about 20-25 minutes I made it to the modest Frayola Cemetery nestled next to the Olalla Airport. I'm not even sure if that's its real title, because I doubt there's a building somewhere adjacent to the long field that little prop planes hop out off. As I sit stretching on the subtly moist earth next to the granite chunks above my grandparents, I watch one such gray beast turn around to get a running start.


Before know it, it's above my head and it is time for me to head off before I get too cool. Heading back I start to get the hang of my clipless pedals and life size enough sillouette of a black bear lawn tacky startles me. I don't fall off. Pedaling back up the driveway a little less than an hour since I'd left, the hills don't seem quite as daunting as the used to be.

I even saw the old janitor at the elementary school, Dan, drive by with his magnificently massive gray and black frizzy beard.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey Rebecca!!!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

I'm so excited that I found your blog--I love it. Are you having a good time in Olalla? How was the ferry trip? I'll bet there were some good swells...it was awfully stormy.

My new job is in full-swing now, but I kind of feel like I'm up a creek without a paddle...there isn't anyone here that can really train me and there's this gigantic growing pile of paperwork that I need to QA but don't really have the ability to judge yet. It's a little frustrating, but I'm learning a lot and they're sending me to Anchorage at the end of the month to a "medical records law in alaska" seminar and to meet with someone who has the expertise and authority to give me some solid advice. Until then I'm just trying to absorb information and do what I can.

Have you been training a lot for your trip? Are you feeling ready for it? I can't get over how cool this is. I totally want to experience your trip vicariously through your blog...so you'd better update it often! Being in the middle of nowhere is no excuse!! : )

Hope you're having fun...and good luck with everything!
Rebecca said…
Leeann-The ferry ride did prove to be a bit rock'in. But I just laid down on the floor and breathed deeply as they showed Benchwarmers twice in a row. That was probably worse than the swells. At least on the last night they showed A Wonderful Life.
Good luck with your job. Your task appears more difficult than mine over the next month. Stick with it and in a year you'll look back and laugh.
Training plugs along as I get to know my bike and myself.

Popular posts from this blog

Simmesport - 32.27 miles

St. Augustine - 100.65

Big Cane - 0 miles