Marathon - 34.21 miles






Today was a good day. This is not to suggest that other days are bad. I woke up and took a walk back to the library. I took a look at a few more things and did a bit of typing. Then I moved to La Trattoria. This is the first cafe I've been to on the trip that served organic fair trade coffee. I was excited. I ate a locally baked foccacia veggi sandwich with my coffee while I chatted with Molly. Molly is a grad student in the geology program at Sul Ross State University. It was just up the hill. Through conversation, I learned that they have an Masters of Art program and ceramics. At 11:30 I decided I should visit this place since I was already there. Jon and I packed up the bikes, went to the bank, and the grocery store. We saw Dom, who was down on his luck and just came from the doctors with his kids. Moving to check out I saw the bike show man again. He was at Blues last night. I chatted some more and he checked out our rigs. I rode up the hill to the university in the hopes that someone might be able to show me around in the 45 minutes I had before I was meeting Jon at an Inn down the road. Someone from the admissions office took me up to see Jim Bob the ceramics guy. They've got a nice set up and a pair of Raku kilns.
It was weird being called a potential grad student. But I like the town. It is like the Sitka of Texas if I ever feel like moving to Texas. At 2:45 we rolled out of town. For 2 hours the wind was mostly at our back son the down hill. We made the miles to Marathon quickly. Stopping for supplies, I was now well prepared for a humus-cheese-bagel-carrot meal at the Marathon Motel and RV Park. I took a shower in one of the nicest bathrooms on the trip and joined the gathering around the fire. A couple of the RVers busted out the guitar. There was singing. For a treat, they even let me play a song. Jon seemed surprised. I haven't had much chance to sing yet on the trip. Now to sleep in my anti-tent which is set up for the first time with just the rainfly and ground sheet.
12.0 ave - 28.9 max - 1153.1 odo - 2:50:59 time

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simmesport - 32.27 miles

St. Augustine - 100.65

Big Cane - 0 miles