Fort Hancock - 59.23 miles




West rode us out of town. I've really enjoyed getting to know the cycling community through warmshowers and the eyes of the touring cyclists we meet. There is something comforting about being part of an obscure subculture.
I have a splinter and I don't think there is anything poky in my vicinity to dig it out. Maybe I got it when I was playing with the pecan at the campground. There were peacocks at Hideaway Lakes. Jon didn't seem impressed, but the other day he stopped for a few minutes to examine roadkill because he'd never seen a skunk before. We rock-paper-scissored to determine if we stayed or moved on. Now I'm in a small restaurant in Fort Hancock. Two members of homeland security just came in to pick up their orders. Now they can eat quesadillas while patrolling our borders. The news rattles on behind me and a man who spend a year in Quartzsite sits under a US flag. He's chatting with a mustached man from the sheriff's department. I'm contemplating pie. Coffee had become my comfort food. Just plain old coffee with sugar and cream in a pitcher. Nothing ruins my coffee like little plastic packets. I brought my A Peoples History of the United States since Jon is on the phone freezing in the parking lot. I figured I should work on reading it or leave it behind.
942.2 ODO - 4:55:17 time - 12 ave - 23.2 max

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simmesport - 32.27 miles

St. Augustine - 100.65

Big Cane - 0 miles