Austin: Day 3 - 0 miles





Austin is littered with bands like Frightened Rabbit set up in bars, cafes, bookstores, and parks, trying to get discovered. SXSW has given the Clap Your Hands Say Yeah t-shirt wearing students of UT something to do over spring break. Suddenly its become ok for men to wear tight clothing again. Stopping by REI, I used my dividend to splurge on $19 sunglasses. Suddenly my eyesight has improved. As Oscar, Blue, and I hopped into the truck to deliver Jennifer's forgotten lunch, I was warned it was chilly. She's attending a personal development seminar and she was vocally not looking forward to it. She wanted to play with us. Maybe it's like brushing your teeth; you don't look forward to it, but you like the slick clean teeth.
After soaking up the local color of SXSW, I turned onto 30th. This is where the Hudson's live on seminary campus. They confided that they let themselves be somewhat confined to their tiny community and that they miss Sitka. Well of course they miss Sitka. They've had two Alaska Day parties. Billy, their jack-Russell and baby step to the coming baby, sat quietly next to me on the couch. With Alaska paraphernalia on the walls, they scoffed at the Austintonians who think they are kayaking in their Town Lake (don't tell them it's a river). It was good to reminisce about the naming of The Leak, the steam pouring out of Jeff's window, the countless maintenance repairs done with Keith's belt, what's his name the financial aid guy, and the heat. SJ is a special place. Those were good times. Eventually we faded and I hugged them good-bye. It was good to see Keith and Laura.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh yeah, I forgot that Keith & Laura live in Austin. That's neat that you got to see them. Did you say they're having a baby? Or did I misunderstand?
Anonymous said…
hey rebecca!
i miss you and you are my hero!!
i started crying when i saw Keith & Laura!
well I just wanted to say good luck!
hope you have good travels!!!!

maxine
Rebecca said…
leeann... you did not misunderstand

Popular posts from this blog

Simmesport - 32.27 miles

St. Augustine - 100.65

Big Cane - 0 miles